Tree giveaways will be scheduled on weekends between March 9th and May 19th.
NYRP grants community organizations, not-for-profit organizations and businesses between 100 and 300 trees to distribute to community members to plant on private property. Trees must be planted within the five boroughs and cannot be planted in containers, on rooftops or along the street.
Organizations interested in holding a Tree Giveaway should consider the following logistics when preparing their event application:
- Where should we hold our tree giveaway?
- Easily accessible, high traffic, highly visible area
- Space large enough for 100+ trees and 100 people
- Plan for an alternate location in case of bad weather
- Plan to have a secure location on-site or nearby to store the trees prior to your giveaway
- What will I need to do to make sure my giveaway is successful?
- Begin local community outreach at least 2 months before your giveaway
- Promote the giveaway to members of your organization and the surrounding community
- Advertise in your local paper; post flyers in neighborhood supermarkets; announce your event at your community board meetings, homeowner association or block association meetings; post the event to web calendars; etc.
- How will we get the trees for our giveaway?
- Trees are delivered to a secure storage facility a few days in advance
- For every 100 trees ordered, provide 4 staff or volunteers to unload the delivery truck
- Trees will weigh between 15 - 45 pounds – volunteers need to be able to lift at least 45 pounds
- Trees must be watered if held for more than 2 days
- If your secure storage facility is different from your giveaway location, you must arrange for transport
- What does NYRP provide?
- Flyer design to advertise the giveaway
- Adding your giveaway to the MillionTreesNYC and NYRP websites and calendars
- Tree planting and tree care instructional handouts
- Information regarding tree species
- Tree adoption forms and tree tags
- What will I need on the day of our tree giveaway?
- At least 8 staff or volunteers
- Volunteer orientation to be conducted by the New York Restoration Project
- At least 2 tables
- Sharpies and pens
- Folders or large envelopes
- Materials provided by NYRP
- 10 Clipboards
- What if there are trees left over?
- Accommodations should be made to store, care for, and find homes for excess trees
- All trees must be given away by your organization within 10 days of giveaway; your organization is ultimately responsible for finding homes for all trees that are granted
- What if I have more questions?
For more information about hosting a Tree Giveaway, please contact the New York Restoration Project.
New York Restoration Project
ATTN: Tree Giveaways
254 W. 31st Street, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10001
FAX: (212) 333-3886
Questions about the program should be directed to email@example.com or (212) 333-2552.